Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Life and the elements, outside of social networks.

Found this image interesting before reading its article (which I now have read) and thought I'd share.
I may not be the most avid FB user, but cannot simply ignore the power and connectivity of the social platforms out there.


Here in San Francisco we are exposed and breathe technology like no other place in the States, and the globe.
The best in hardware and software is within miles and once you leave the Bay Area, you know how cutting edge the bubble is. The newest kids in the block such as Hipstamatic, Instagram, Path, Square and now Pinterest -just to name a few- are all located within a mile.


Keeping this post between work interaction and getting outside, we recently learned about a non-tech, well food product per se, Bay Area local +well-established company rewarding its employees (every single one) with a Public Bicycle: Clif Bar Bike Benefits. You may have had more than a few bites in the past, Clif bars are great.


At any rate, weaving through Yahoo's Flickr and Google's gmail+blogger, is how the 3 of us here (CTX, Ade +I) initially met here in San Francisco a few years ago. Mainly, because we were probably not at home clicking away, but we rode our bikes for work and play most of the time. And for example the Calitexican and I first met interacting randomly and chatting it up quickly thanks to Duby's awesome tie, on a Friday many Critical Mass years ago.


via bear bicycles
"You’re outside on the streets, not locked into a car and can easily interact with other cyclists or pedestrians. That can be by chatting, or just a friendly smile. If you see us cycling around on our Facebook bike, please say hello!"
Well, no kidding.
On the flip side, great to see an Amsterdam company involved and encouraging people to realize there is life outside Facebook. A friendly smile and a chat is far cooler than a LIKE.


I think more companies should encourage not only the bicycle and social use, but the fact that there is something very crucial to the mental wellness and that is the IRL: in real life.


Having worked for a highly desirable company, which I shall refrain from naming, my team was AMAZED that I actually walked to the food market or cafeteria during my lunch break. And this was an unwritten issue, and I certainly felt the friction. For an hour, I decided that during my lunch I was not to answer emails (how dare I not have lunch on my desk) but I was ok answering the phone, you know just in case of an 'emergency'.


Well that job is far behind me, and the point here is that with the accessibility to connectivity, many companies and jobs do expect a 24-hour devotion. In my personal opinion this is very wrong. I am a firm believer of a being passionate about your job and working very hard for success, but many of these expectations seem quite unreal.


To wrap-up a short thought here about the importance of being outside and interacting with other real humans other than your keyboard, or smart phone -- how do you integrate your bike/social life around your dedicated time of work/parenting/daily duties?Does your work schedule change the ways or the time you dedicate to it? What efforts or challenges have you faced?Do tell. 
ps. Bear bicycles post here:
xxo♥ la meligrosa

5 comments:

  1. Ahoy there, MG.That's a pretty poignant post. I love all of this 24 hr connectivity as I work in a round-the-clock industry.I can just load the 'connectivity interface'(!) on my bike and work from home,(in my pajamas), on the wharf ,on board a ship,from a cafe. It's all good stuff, so long as you make it work for you and not the other way around.

    cheers,

    Ian,Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your response Ian

      ...It's all good stuff, so long as you make it work for you and not the other way around.
      -- yes I agree with you 100% and I'm a huge lover of technology and connectivity integration. the key is that we find balance, and that could be a tricky line :)

      best +stay in touch

      Delete
  2. My household is currently struggling with the question of hours devoted to work and sacrifice required in other areas of life we find fulfilling. I'm a great believer in work/life balance, which is pretty achievable when one works in the public sector or in most nonprofits but seems to be considered a sign of shiftlessness in the private sector. Hmmmm. . . .

    In any case, I find it pretty easy to incorporate my bicycle-centric lifestyle into both social and work life. To begin with, I live close to school and partly chose my practicum site because it didn't require that I own a car. I can bike or walk there. With the exception of a trip to the movies this weekend, my husband and I have biked or walked to all our entertainment activities for the last two week and once the temperature goes down this fall, that we'll do so even more. Prior to relocating to Phoenix, most of the people we socialized with were birds of a feather so nobody looked upon us as oddballs when we showed up on bike. The funs began when we started pedaling.

    We have a car but it's something I prefer to use when it is most sensible option and a bike just doesn't make sense. For the most part though, if I can't walk or bike where I need to go I begin to look for ways to eliminate the "need".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the bike should be named "Facebike" since it allows you to see people face-to-face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate people who use these elements IRL: they just spam our eyes without mercy.

      Delete