Thursday, June 9, 2011

video: nyc biker getting a ticket while riding NOT in the bike lane

one of my favorite actual human internet spiderweb search box people types (i think he finds the end of the internet each day, no easy task), sent in this video this morning. looks like this guy got a ticket for riding a bike NOT in the bike lane. um, er?

i lived in nyc for 8 years, but that was before all the awesome bike infrastructure went down. as far as i know, i biked plenty not in the bike lane, but never got a ticket. i musta felt lucky, punk.

he tackles this serious issue (i mean really, cops not knowing that bikes can ride outside the bike lane is serious to me...) with some seriously funny humor. his defense is hey, sometimes riding not in the bike lane is safer because there are obstacles in the way. like police cars.



ok, is this guy awesome or what? and what does he do? stunts? mountain biking? he falls off his bike with such grace!

9 comments:

  1. As far as I know Casey's not a professional stunt guy -- he's just a documentary film maker. He and his brother also did that famous "bicycle thief" video where they steal bikes in broad daylight with people watching to see how they react.

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe he just learned how to fall well somewhere. he should teach a class! haha. orrrr just keep making videos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great video....we all it enjoyed here, only a few hours from nyc....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this video...I was tempted to take a header into the bed of a pick-up parked in my bike lane this afternoon, but figured I'd end up seriously hurting myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's illegal in my town to ride in the street adjacent to a bike path or lane. Though I think you could beat that ticket if you could show the path was obstructed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My pet peeve: Joggers and runners in the bike lane, when there's a perfectly good sidewalk right there. I'm not talking about crowded city sidewalks. I'm talking about empty suburban sidewalks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm happy to see he's created a great opportunity for education and dialog out of a ridiculous situation.

    In Chicago the bike lanes are always full of trucks, cars, random stuff. And even when they're clear, I usually ride just outside of them, since most are no wider than the door zone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys don't realize how happy you should be with the fact that you got bike lanes. I wish we had bike lanes over here T_T

    ReplyDelete