Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Fog chronicles

ft. baker
Right on my back, not too far off is that beautiful burnt orange massive bridge entirely covered by thick fog.

On a late Tuesday afternoon, I decided to join the ninja crew and cruise to the other side of the fog force. Mist in the face, wool on the arms and the longest drooling mocos from the nose because it was just that foggy-moist out, made up for a great misty night ride.

It wasn't the tremendous effect of fog, the I-own-this-hill feeling coming into or out of the city anymore, it was returning into the presidio and encountering closed roads and construction areas. Only went in for a tad (I'm pretty sure it is rather unsafe and, if those guys see you will be pretty upset) but to see any of the big tonka trucks hard at work – I will always call them this — is just awesome.

presidio construction
Men at work

When I was 4 my dad asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I said: a big steal measuring tape. Of course I dont recall this, but I recall the measuring tape thing (was huge) and of course my bike. This picture reminds me of both.
The fog, a construction site and the possible sightings of men with hard hats.

Today, August 4th is a special day deep in my heart +there will be no cake but as always, I can get on my bike, explore roads that are unaccessible to vehicles and most motorized traffic and celebrate life.
♥xxo.m

9 comments:

  1. Awesome pic of the construction. It looks eerie and awesome and reminds me of some aliens working away in the middle of Area 51 or something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memories from when one was a kid are the best ones. They're so influential, as those same simple desires usually continue on throughout life, that is if you're fortunate. My childhood memories always make me smile and I'll go out of my way to relive them.

    I guess I should share one: when I was a kid my great uncle and I would sit at the Amtrak station and watch the trains come and go while eating some pecan pie. On the rare occasion I get the chance I'll always pick up a small slice of pie and watch the trains come and go. Sounds, scents, tastes, and the sights all collide instantly transporting me back to when I was little. Your post made me think of that and also that the same thing happened to you. Those are times to cherish.

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie/ thanks!! +the fog kept dancing with the crazy spotlights, it was super!

    anon/ that is beautiful
    thanks for sharing +stopping by :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meli: Really lovely photos. I haven't gone riding at night for years, but you make it looks so fun!
    P.S. Thank you for dropping by my blog. Isn't Miss Sarah awesome? :D

    Hugs,
    Jude

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a kid we still had real trains and my mother would take me to an old steel bridge over the tracks just outside the switching yard to wave at the engineers, who always waved back. We later moved to a house right next to the tracks and i liked to go out in the evening to watch the New York Central go by; you could actually set your watch to it.

    I haven't gone riding at night since - tonight. I love night riding and often schedule my grocery shopping for after midnight. Even in the city it's peaceful and meditative and long cruises through (what's left of) apple orchard country are pure bliss. Anyone who shies away from it should try it.

    Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. kfg- for years, the only way to get my friend's son to calm down (he has Asperger's Syndrome) was to take him to see the trains. He will watch them for hours and hours and hours.

    As to fog...I live right in the fog belt. As one of my friend's noted the other night- we live several miles from the ocean, but the air here feels like it is just across the street. When the fog is thick, it is super wet and cold and only romantic when viewed from indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love riding around in the middle of the night when there's no traffic. So calm and peaceful!

    ReplyDelete