Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I Get Around

Before Declan was born, I had to drive to Hayward everyday for work. It took 45 minutes into work in the morning, and an hour and a half on the way home because I had to drive through San Francisco twice to pick up the kids. I hated it. My back always hurt, I was always late and the road was really bad. On very rainy days, I wouldn't go to work because 580 through Oakland does not have adequate drainage and I had seen several cars flip over in the rain over the years. The final straw was the day I saw a car flip over and the kids in the back seat get ejected out of the back windshield.




This is my commute, now. It takes just about as long, but I am way happier than I was. Eighteen miles round trip, with a BART ride in the middle. The best parts of my commute are the time I get to read on the train,



the glory of the Ohlone Greenway,






and my fellow commuters, on bikes, of course! I passed 28 cyclists on the Greenway! That is more than ever before, and I was riding after the commute hour was over!









I still would like to have a job closer to home once the Summer is done. Until then, I will enjoy my occasional commute across the Bay. It is my time to myself. My time to plan. My time to read. My time to ride!

4 comments:

  1. Great story with great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you...... Although I report from the other side of the atlantic I know exatctly what you are talking about. My Newphews live in Valjeo and when I visit I stay in Concord. To get into san fransisco traveling by car is not smart a combination of train and bike is the only soloution for sane people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen- Thank you !

    Madness- Those are the best $60 panniers on the planet! Basil Twig. Can't beat 'em.

    Philip- You are sooooooo right! I don't go as far as Vallejo as I work in San Pablo, but it is the same route. Taking BART is fantastic- time to read, people watching, no Toll Plaza to crawl through... now if we could just get 24 hour service, no one would need a car.

    ReplyDelete